In an era of booming communities under construction to increase density that also sees more frequent extreme weather events across North America, built support infrastructures such as drains and sewers are required to be even more hard-working and reliable than ever before. And that makes maintenance and upkeep in private dwellings even more important than previously.
Having a professional plumbing and drain company in your corner can make all the difference for avoiding problems – or resolving them quickly and safely if they arise. Whether it’s in a secondary shower used infrequently, or a bathroom sink where hair collects, and especially if it’s in a hard-working kitchen sink that may inadvertently trap grease and food scraps, household drains need some regular TLC.
If you’re a home, property or business owner in Huntington Beach, CA and the surrounding area, bluefrog Plumbing + Drain of Orange County should be your go-to expert for any kind of plumbing service, including drain cleaning, installation and repair. Not only can the professional bluefrog team deal with any emergency plumbing or drain-related issue 24/7, they can provide the routine maintenance and cleaning that will keep your household drain and sewer system functioning smoothly no matter what’s going on in the wider world.
Signs That Your Drains Aren’t Functioning Well
Sometimes it’s not obvious when a drain issue is developing, but sometimes it very much is. Foul odors emanating from drains, whether they are in use or not, are a tell-tale indication that they are not clearing efficiently. Or, drains may clear more slowly than usual, with a lot of gurgling noises. Or, they may clog altogether leading to standing water, or even unpleasant backups.
You could try to clear them manually yourself, using whatever tools are at hand. You may be tempted to simply dump a lot of toxic product down the drain and hope for the best. There are dozens of products out that claim to fix drainage problems in a snap. But there are a bunch of reasons why this is not the best strategy:
- keeping toxins out of municipal sewers and the broader environment is in everyone’s best interest
- the corrosive chemicals found in many standard drain cleaning products can corrode pipes made of any substance but are particularly devastating on plastic or PVC pipes and drain fittings or joints
- corrosive drain products are also a hazard to your health. Incorrectly handled they can burn skin, harm eyes and emit toxic fumes (especially if they don’t clear the clog and back up into the home)
- drain cleaners aren’t always effective because they attempt to acid-wash away a physical block such as hair, grease, food debris or objects – it’s often more effective to just physically remove the blockage.
Why Regular Maintenance Is a Good Idea
Extreme weather events, construction and flooding are constantly putting pressure on public infrastructure, but that pressure can translate to the user end of the system as well. When stuff happens, a well-maintained drain is less likely to backup or fail.
Keeping your home’s drains clean is an important part of home maintenance duties – it can actually extend the life of the drain system and head off small problems before they become large ones. Deciding how often drains should be cleaned depends on the size of your household, how intensely drains are used, the age of the drain system, and many more factors.
Smaller households may be able to get away with occasional as-needed cleaning, while bigger households may need to schedule professional drain maintenance more often. In general, annual maintenance is recommended. It is a good idea to talk to an expert plumber such as those on the bluefrog Plumbing + Drain of Orange County for a recommended drain cleaning schedule based on usage and other factors.
Why Hire a Pro?
Plumbing isn’t a good candidate for DIY. All manner of things can go wrong – and real damage done.
- Professionals like the drain cleaning specialists on the bluefrog Plumbing + Drain of Orange County, CA have the right manual tools and specialized equipment needed – including snake tools, rotary tools, water pressure tools – to get the job done right the first time.
- Even the simplest clog may be evidence of a seriously damaged drain or sewer system – only a close inspection can undercover that kind of problem before its too late. And that may require diagnostic equipment and the expertise to use it properly. For example, growing tree roots close to a building’s foundation can sometimes disrupt and break into drainage systems. A trained professional will be able to resolve what can be a very complicated problem before it becomes devastating.
- In yet another scenario it may be items of value clogging the drain. Careful manual clearing and cleaning of the drain is more likely to rescue those items intact than unskilled probing and flushing.
- Let’s face it, plumbing and drain issues can be gross. Why go there when you hire someone who handle drain cleaning and plumbing issues using skill, the right tools and best practices?
- Experienced pros can share valuable knowledge about how to keep grease, hair and debris out of your drains with various filters, screens and gadgets. And they’re often willing to share their understanding of plumbing infrastructure with homeowners, empowering them to better care for their domestic systems.
When it comes to drains and plumbing, don’t mess around in the interest of saving a few bucks. Book a routine drain cleaning and inspection today. Professional plumbing care is a great long-term investment that could save you even more dollars down the road. If you’re a home or business owner in Huntington Beach, CA and surrounding area, call bluefrog Plumbing + Drain of Orange County for expert solutions in drain cleaning, installation and repair.
Photo By Andrey_Popov at Shutterstock
Choosing The Right Plumber: Key Qualities For Which To Look
An important part of managing a home is managing the plumbing system and related fixtures and appliances. Many opt for the DIY route but there are various circumstances that need the attention of a
Top Six Plumbing Issues and How to Prevent Them
Homeowners rarely realize the importance of a well-functioning plumbing system until they experience an issue. While some plumbing problems can be easy DIY repairs, others will require the experience and expertise of a professional
Sewer Line Repair In Orange County: Here’s What You Need To Know
Sewer lines refer to the plumbing pipes that extend from your home to the city waste connection or to your private septic tank. It accepts all sewage and wastewater draining from your plumbing fixtures